Scribblings

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Yep, it is like iTunes for PDFs


webmaster@oreillynet.com (Bruce Stewart) May 3, 2007 10:46 AM
 - 
Show original item


I just discovered Yep,
which bills itself as “iTunes for PDFs”. And I’m hooked. Like most of
us, as the PDF format has continued to get more widespread acceptance,
I have been accumulating more and more PDF documents on my mac. They’re
scattered all over my system, in my mail attachments, in various
folders, and I often have a bunch sitting on my desktop at any given
time. And far too many of those pesky PDFs that came from some link I
clicked on somewhere come across with meaningless filenames.


With Yep, I’ll no longer waste much time searching for that
particular PDF I need, or wondering what that cryptically-named PDF on
my desktop is. Yep does just what it claims to, it provides a friendly
interface to all of your PDF documents, with expandable thumbnail views
and every possible bit of info and meta-data you could want about them.
The Yep interface is simple but powerful, with features like tagging
and searching across all of your PDFs.


Yep doesn’t copy or move your PDFs like some other similar products,
but rather builds a smart interface on top of Spotlight’s searching
capability. (One potential downside, if Spotlight can’t find a PDF on
your system because you’ve restricted what Spotlight indexes, Yep won’t
see it either).


The real power and convenience of Yep comes from its tagging
features. It automatically tags all of your PDFs with the folder name
they live in, but it also allows for adding more tags to improve your
PDF organization. If you like organizing things by tags and the
simplicity of tag clouds, and have been wishing for better system for
your PDFs, you should definitely give Yep a try.





Powered by ScribeFire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home